One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An object or design resembling a cross but having a loop instead of the top arm, used in ancient Egypt as a symbol of life.
- ‘The ankh, the Egyptian symbol for eternal life, is very similar to that of the cross revered by Christians (especially in the form of the Coptic cross), itself also a symbol for eternal life.’
- ‘Hilary draws lotus flowers and the Egyptian ankh.’
- ‘During temple rituals, participants may wear ordinary clothes, or a variety of Egyptian-style robes, headdresses, and jewelry such as ankh pendants or scarab rings.’
- ‘Among them were symbols that I recognized, such as an Egyptian ankh and a Minoan labrys.’
- ‘Under the left eye, there appeared to be a small ankh, Egyptian symbol for eternal life, which was also colored black.’
- ‘The end of the staff is an odd symbol, similar to the top of an ankh.’
- ‘Crosses aren't exactly like ankhs but they're close enough that they work like ankhs.’
- ‘He used to wear an Egyptian ankh, a star of David and a crucifix around his neck.’
- ‘It is concerned with the process of transmutation of matter from one form to another and the transmission of the universal life force, symbolized by the ankh, carried by Isis, bestower of the universal life force - the Goddess.’
- ‘He placed a bracelet and closed her fist around it, ‘The ankh, a symbol of everlasting life.’’
- ‘The ankh is an ancient Egyptian symbol carried around by the Egyptian gods, normally signifying the ability to give or take life.’
- ‘The 0 section of the ankh is actually a crescent moon, facing up, and the top is an open eye.’
- ‘The bat represented the night, whereas the ankh and butterfly symbolized immortal life and eternity.’
- ‘The majority recognizes the ankh as an Egyptian symbol of mythological power.’
- ‘About my neck are several holy symbols representing the twinned religions of peace: Buddha, dragon, cross, ankh, and pentagram.’
Late 19th century: from Egyptian, literally ‘life, soul’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.