Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘One of the proposed methods for performing a protein bioassay is the use of fluorescence anisotropy of the fluorophore-labeled aptamer.’
- ‘It is still puzzling that the anisotropy and GP reported for laurdan do not show similar temperature-dependence profiles.’
- ‘COBE also measured small directional variations in the background radiation's temperature, known as anisotropy.’
- ‘One means of differentiating the various possibilities would be to examine the anisotropy of DHPC diffusion.’
- ‘In diamagnetic heme proteins, the magnetic anisotropy is small and RDCs are barely large enough to be used as structural constraints.’
- ‘We observe a reduction in fluorescence anisotropy only in the presence of FRET from linked mVenus and mCerulean.’
- ‘Temperatures below room temperature increase strength and hardness, with some loss of ductility and a decrease in anisotropy.’
- ‘It seems that the contact between augen gneiss and metasediments represents a strong mechanical anisotropy along which the basal thrust of the Zermatt-Saas zone developed.’
- ‘In this study we show how to determine with fluorescence anisotropy a quantitative value of the intrinsic resilience of the protein matrix.’
- ‘Analysis of cross-fiber anisotropy indicates a basic contrast of design between the extrinsic and the intrinsic fibers.’
- ‘Fluorescence anisotropy is used to characterize rotational mobility of the fluorescing molecules or complexes.’
- ‘In contrast to AMS, anisotropy of magnetic remanence examines the preferred orientation of the remanence - carrying minerals only.’
- ‘Frequency domain anisotropy was measured by exciting the sample with the amplitude-modulated light polarized vertically.’
- ‘The wavelength dependence reflects the degree and orientation of the optical anisotropy changes beyond 600 nm.’
- ‘Fluorescence intensity, lifetime, spectral shift, and anisotropy all may be used to monitor conformational changes.’
- ‘Typically, the anisotropy decays of nanosecond decay time fluorophores are used to study the order and dynamics of the acyl side chain regions.’
- ‘Within the peripheral zone, the expansion rate, expansion anisotropy, and the direction of maximal expansion vary according to the age of adjacent leaf primordia.’
- ‘The rotations were measured by anisotropy of fluorescence originating from a small volume defined by a narrow aperture of a confocal microscope.’
- ‘The gel to liquid disordered phase transition of pure PSM was clearly reported as a steep decrease in the anisotropy of DPH.’
- ‘Foliation anisotropy caused bending to take place locally by folding about an inclined hinge in the limbs of a pre-existing synform, which tightened during the deformation.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.