Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Differential scattering can distort CD spectra by anisotropically scattering light away from PMT detector.’
- ‘The applied pressure was controlled anisotropically, each direction being treated independently with the trace of the pressure tensor kept constant for 1 atm, again using the Berendsen method.’
- ‘The pore water pressure as well as the stress-strain response of an anisotropically consolidated clay specimen under undrained shearing was significantly affected by the initial stress ratio.’
- ‘Ligand binding to proteins, enzyme catalysis, self-aggregation of colloids, and polymerization are examples of diffusion-mediated processes involving anisotropically reactive species.’
- ‘Further experiments are needed to verify that the 205 -, 263 -, and 335-bp fragments are anisotropically flexible.’
- ‘The distal portion of this zone expands anisotropically, similar to regions of the wild-type apex periphery, which contact older flower primordia.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.