Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A negatively charged ion, i.e. one that would be attracted to the anode in electrolysis.The opposite of cation
- ‘The cation is positively charged, and the anion is negatively charged.’
- ‘The molecules or anions attached to the central atom are called coordinating groups or ligands.’
- ‘When two atoms swap electrons to produce a cation and an anion, the two ions are attracted to each other.’
- ‘It is called a cation if a positive charge exists and an anion if a negative charge exists.’
- ‘Cations within the middle solution are attracted to one electrode and anions to the other.’
- ‘An ionic compound is composed of a network of ions that results in a three-dimensional matrix of cations and anions.’
- ‘Non-metals accept electrons in forming anions while metals donate electrons to form cations.’
- ‘The functional groups of iron hydroxides may sequestrate some cations and anions.’
- ‘It's easy to make a high oxidation state in an anion because an anion is electron-rich.’
- ‘These water molecules are ripped apart and change into hydroxyl anions, each of which is negatively charged and has one oxygen ion with a proton attached.’
- ‘Protons diffuse across a membrane from the anode chamber to the cathode chamber, where they react with the anions to form water or ferrocyanide ions.’
- ‘All the positively charged ions, or cations, are together on the right side of the collage, and all the negatively charged ions, or anions, are on the left.’
- ‘To balance the influx of positive charge, organic anions, principally malate, and chloride are also accumulated.’
- ‘Crystals of table salt consist of equal numbers of sodium cations and chlorine anions, cation-anion pairs being held together by a force of attraction.’
- ‘Cations and anions can only exist in ionic compounds, nearly all of which are solids at room temperature, or in solution.’
- ‘During electrolysis an anion is attracted to the anode (positive electrode).’
- ‘For ions dissolved in water, the rapid exchange of water molecules around the cation usually provides the space for an anion to approach the cation.’
- ‘In an ionic compound there are two different types of ions present, the positively charged cations and the negatively charged anions.’
- ‘Nitric oxide can react with superoxide anions to produce peroxynitrite anions, thus quenching the biological effects of NO.’
- ‘A typical reaction of such compounds is to accept an additional electron from an anion or to share electrons with an anion to gain a stable octet.’
Mid 19th century: from anode or ana-, + ion.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.