Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A style of Japanese film and television animation, typically aimed at adults as well as children.Compare with manga
animated film, animated cartoon, animationView synonyms
- ‘The huge eyes that both Ram and Sita have are apparently a feature of manga and anime in Japan.’
- ‘The transfer has none of the jagged lines or motion that appears in some anime, though.’
- ‘They seem to have problems with the limited animation seen in most anime.’
- ‘So much of the comedy in anime is tainted by overt fan service and wildly imaginative events.’
- ‘I admit I am a purist when it comes to my anime and I like it in its original Japanese with subs.’
- ‘OK, so many anime shows now exploit the access to cheap and rich CGI effects.’
- ‘So many anime series tend to settle into autopilot towards the middle of their run.’
- ‘It should please teen anime fans the most, and would equally appeal to boys and girls.’
- ‘As enjoyable and weird as it is, anime can still become routine if you aren't careful.’
- ‘Lupin has been a favorite of anime fans for three decades, and it's not difficult to see why.’
- ‘Kids were getting their brains rewired by the epic Akira, still the pinnacle of sci-fi anime.’
- ‘One of my greatest pet peeves in anime is the glossy disregard for detail in action scenes.’
- ‘Manga has provided that most vital of anime extras, which is a brief bio on each character.’
- ‘Mamoru Oshii is probably the only director in the world who makes art films under the guise of traditional anime.’
- ‘In writing about anime, Carey works way too hard to give it high-culture credibility.’
- ‘So much anime looks good at a glance, but most of it begins to fail under closer scrutiny.’
- ‘Talk to us in a year and maybe we'll be complaining about the formulaic narrative in Japanese anime.’
- ‘Evil people are really easy to predict after watching all of those magical girl anime.’
- ‘The third disc of this set contains a mediocre anime film with great animation and music.’
- ‘She nodded and decided that her next drawing would be of him, done in anime style this time.’
1980s: Japanese, shortened from animēshon, based on English animation.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.