One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Behaviour that is characteristic of animals, particularly in being physical and instinctive.
- ‘‘This insanity of his can be excused,’ she said with a glint of animalism in her eyes.’
- ‘The, ‘Flight or Fight’ mechanism is Mankind's last direct link to animalism, which Civilisation still seeks to expunge from the human psyche.’
- ‘You lust for me with a fierce animalism but you're also bewitched by my mind and my soul.’
- ‘In this sublime tangle, Sethe commits an ‘unnatural’ act in order to achieve the eminently cultured end of saving her children from the barbarism, the animalism, of slavery.’
- ‘McCann refuses to sanitize or romanticize sexuality's raw animalism.’
- ‘The example given is that of the obligation to become a subject, to place oneself above the basic human animalism.’
- ‘If the idea was to match Steed's well-aged charms with Gambit's brash animalism, it doesn't gel.’
- ‘He had never seen such a display of unadulterated animalism before, and could only wonder what her mother must've been like.’
- ‘In the eighteenth century madness was seen as either animalism, best controlled by harsh restraint, or as imbalances in bodily humours, treated by bleeding.’
2Religious worship of animals.
- ‘Their religion, which exhibits features of animism, animalism, anthropomorphism, nature-worship, fetishism, ancestor-worship is under the control, guidance and supervision of the village.’
- ‘The only possibly offensive content to Christians here is the religion of animalism and the presence of magic.’
- ‘The idea of [Shintoism] revolves round belief in animalism. This ideology asserts that human souls are merely animals sans spirituality.’
- ‘It is difficult to categorize the religion of the tribal people. It is a mixture of many influences including animalism, nature-worship, shamanism, and ancestor worship.’
- ‘The exhibit looks at animalism and concepts of femininity, sexual fetishes, seduction, excess, coquetry and class standing.’
- ‘Among objects which played the most important role in the Proto-Indo-European beliefs we should emphasize sacred animals. It is scientifically proved that animalism was one of the earliest stages of the religious development of mankind.’
- ‘I would surmise that the original religion was animalism, leading to the worship of Nature, the Sun and the Moon.’
- ‘The Pagan religion was a mixture of genealogy, politics, and education based largely on ancestor worship. It was not the "idolatry" and "animalism" that Biblical religion has made it out to be.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.