One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Behaviour that is characteristic of animals, particularly in being physical and instinctive.
- ‘McCann refuses to sanitize or romanticize sexuality's raw animalism.’
- ‘In the eighteenth century madness was seen as either animalism, best controlled by harsh restraint, or as imbalances in bodily humours, treated by bleeding.’
- ‘‘This insanity of his can be excused,’ she said with a glint of animalism in her eyes.’
- ‘If the idea was to match Steed's well-aged charms with Gambit's brash animalism, it doesn't gel.’
- ‘In this sublime tangle, Sethe commits an ‘unnatural’ act in order to achieve the eminently cultured end of saving her children from the barbarism, the animalism, of slavery.’
- ‘You lust for me with a fierce animalism but you're also bewitched by my mind and my soul.’
- ‘He had never seen such a display of unadulterated animalism before, and could only wonder what her mother must've been like.’
- ‘The, ‘Flight or Fight’ mechanism is Mankind's last direct link to animalism, which Civilisation still seeks to expunge from the human psyche.’
- ‘The example given is that of the obligation to become a subject, to place oneself above the basic human animalism.’
2Religious worship of animals.
- ‘The idea of [Shintoism] revolves round belief in animalism. This ideology asserts that human souls are merely animals sans spirituality.’
- ‘I would surmise that the original religion was animalism, leading to the worship of Nature, the Sun and the Moon.’
- ‘Among objects which played the most important role in the Proto-Indo-European beliefs we should emphasize sacred animals. It is scientifically proved that animalism was one of the earliest stages of the religious development of mankind.’
- ‘The exhibit looks at animalism and concepts of femininity, sexual fetishes, seduction, excess, coquetry and class standing.’
- ‘Their religion, which exhibits features of animism, animalism, anthropomorphism, nature-worship, fetishism, ancestor-worship is under the control, guidance and supervision of the village.’
- ‘It is difficult to categorize the religion of the tribal people. It is a mixture of many influences including animalism, nature-worship, shamanism, and ancestor worship.’
- ‘The only possibly offensive content to Christians here is the religion of animalism and the presence of magic.’
- ‘The Pagan religion was a mixture of genealogy, politics, and education based largely on ancestor worship. It was not the "idolatry" and "animalism" that Biblical religion has made it out to be.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.