One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Animals collectively, especially those native to a particular region, habitat, or geological period.‘early animal life in the oceans’‘an impressive diversity of animal life’
- ‘Forests were the home to more animal life, in the form of wild game, than could be found as domesticated livestock.’
- ‘Mushrooms and animal life develop under the shade of young pines, providing other bounties.’
- ‘Three different environments—wetlands, rainforest and grasslands—feature the plant and animal life which is indigenous to them and the sanctuary boasts 1600 animals in total.’
- ‘An impressive diversity of animal life includes elephant seals, sea lions, penguins, and other birds.’
- ‘The intent is to produce science-based ways to predict the effect that various natural or human changes might have on the water balance and the plant and animal life in the basin.’
- ‘The Management Policy calls for the perpetuation of the native animal life of the parks and the maintenance of the "natural abundance, behavior, diversity, and ecological integrity of native animals".’
- ‘His vignettes of country life, as well as his close observations of animal life in its natural setting, were much admired.’
- ‘Not only do they capture exotic animal life, the shots are framed so delicately that many times I felt I was watching a living expressionist painting.’
- ‘Access is by defined pathways and roads only, in an effort to protect the existing plant and animal life from being over-run by human tourists.’
- ‘Parks were few, green space was minimal, and, by 1944, just about the only urban animal life consisted of rats, mice, and crows.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.