Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The freeing of animals from exploitation and cruel treatment by humans:‘animal liberation is the goal for which the philosophy of animal rights is the philosophy’[as modifier] ‘one of the animal liberation groups’
- ‘Yourofsky has spent quite a bit of time in jail for various animal liberation acts, including two months in a Canadian prison for releasing mink from a Canadian farm.’
- ‘They are both involved in animal liberation activism on the fringes of the law, him slightly more than her, which she finds a bit unnerving.’
- ‘Did you think that armed guards or the installation of motion sensors, cameras, lights, and steel grating around your basement windows would somehow make the animal liberation movement go away?’
- ‘Dr Best has consistently argued that violence forms a necessary part of the animal liberation movement.’
- ‘Singer regards the animal liberation movement as comparable to the liberation movements of women and people of colour.’
- ‘Taking the straightedge vegan message further, adding in causes such as animal liberation and environmental consciousness, Earth Crisis has been featured on MTV and in the New York Times.’
- ‘Like it or not, the comments at AR2002 encouraging the use of violence as a means for achieving animal liberation could very well have been the impetus for the actions referenced in this article.’
- ‘Shouldn't we all feel slightly silly at realising that these are the alleged terrorists who have apparently held the government and society to ransom in their fight for animal liberation?’
- ‘The animal liberation movement opposes favoring humans over other animals.’
- ‘SHAC is a direct action campaign group with a loose membership that forms part of a shadowy network of animal liberation organisations.’
- ‘The gulf between animal exploitation and animal kinship, and between animal abuse and animal liberation, is fundamentally a spiritual one.’
- ‘Listed in the credits was none other than ‘Voice for Animals, ‘an animal rights group whose main goal is animal liberation.’’
- ‘In becoming vegans and animal liberation activists, we had to challenge the things we thought we knew about animals and then change our behavior accordingly.’
- ‘We're condemned to use imperfect methods in an imperfect world history will show that [animal rights activists] were right to break the law in pursuit of the ultimate liberation, animal liberation.’
- ‘Is it improving animal welfare, or is it about animal liberation?’
- ‘He is generally considered to be the founding father of the animal liberation movement and has turned quite a few meat eaters into vegetarians.’
- ‘However genuine the motives of animal liberation activists may be, their actions can sometimes have serious effects.’
- ‘We believe that animal liberation is not an act of stealing property, but of freeing unjustly detained individuals.’
- ‘‘The creation of a new enclosure for polar bears in Edinburgh would provoke deep anger throughout the animal rights and animal liberation movement,’ he said.’
- ‘The Animal Liberation League sees strategic nonviolence as the animals' best hope for complete and lasting animal liberation.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.