One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting motion that is not simple harmonic.
- ‘To make a rectifier, the researchers considered an anharmonic chain sandwiched between two harmonic caps, one with stiff springs - which vibrate at higher frequencies - and the other with more pliable springs.’
- ‘Such curves are not characterized by parabolic functions, indicating that hydrogen-bonding interactions are strongly anharmonic.’
- ‘However, diffusive motion is present at all hydrations and temperatures studied, and the hydration-induced anharmonic motions are not required for activity.’
- ‘Experimental and computer simulation studies have revealed the presence of a glasslike transition in the internal dynamics of hydrated proteins at ~ 200 K involving an increase of the amplitude of anharmonic dynamics.’
- ‘Several mechanisms have been proposed to explain the large critical temperature, including a double gap structure and anharmonic effects.’
- ‘The CO band thermal broadening stems from the anharmonic coupling with motions of the heme environment, which, in the glassy state, are frozen in.’
- ‘Our approach is next tested against computer simulations of a multimodule titin model with anharmonic linkers and then applied to experimental data for the unfolding of titin.’
- ‘It seems that this transition reflects a partial freezing of the protein, which changes from an anharmonic to a harmonic regime induced by the glass transition in the surrounding solvent.’
- ‘Furthermore, we expect that small anharmonic corrections present in both the native and the random states will cancel out.’
- ‘Rapidly rotating Bose-Einstein condensates confined in anharmonic traps can exhibit a rich variety of vortex phases.’
- ‘The anharmonic dynamics involve diffusive motion and allow sampling of different conformational substates.’
- ‘For an anharmonic potential, the spacing between modes changes as energy increases.’
- ‘Some studies have found a relationship between the onset of anharmonic motion and activity of proteins.’
- ‘The cantilever oscillation is anharmonic and asymmetric when the quality factor is low, in contrast with TM AFM in air, where the cantilever oscillation is approximately sinusoidal and symmetric.’
- ‘The existence of such a detailed structure of the [upsilon] Fe-His band shape cannot be explained by the anharmonic coupling model of Bitler and Stavrov, which at 10 K predicts only a single line.’
- ‘It was successfully fitted to the anharmonic coupling model, the fitting parameters being close to those obtained earlier.’
- ‘More recently the conclusion about the presence of the anharmonic coupling between the Fe-His and Fe-P displacements has been supported experimentally as well as theoretically using quantum chemical calculations.’
- ‘Motions along the first few eigenvectors are mainly large anharmonic fluctuations and generally can be linked to the biological function of proteins.’
- ‘In the hydrated samples a ‘glass-like’ transition leading to an anharmonic dynamics is observed.’
- ‘The nature of the biological processes driven by ATP binding and hydrolysis is, of course, highly anharmonic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.