One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The rate of change of angular position of a rotating body.
- ‘The pilot enters the turns gradually and smoothly so that the angular velocity in roll is well below the level of detection by the semicircular canals and the pilot feels that the wings of his aircraft are level.’
- ‘The protocol consisted of five repetitions at an angular velocity of 60 deg/sec followed by a 1-minute rest period and 30 repetitions of 240 deg/sec.’
- ‘Clarke chose an orbital altitude of 35,786 kilometers because at that distance the angular velocity of Earth's rotation would match that of the satellite.’
- ‘But its angular velocity - the rate at which it was traveling around the earth, measured in revolutions per hour - was lower.’
- ‘Just before free falling, the pendulum is at its widest angle (highest point), where the angular velocity is zero.’
- ‘Model parameters include the mass distribution, initial position and initial angular velocity of each segment and the anatomy and physiology of each muscle.’
- ‘It is known that at a certain angular velocity ellipsoidal forms cease to be the forms of equilibrium of a rotating liquid.’
- ‘Because of its slow relaxation, power strokes of the enzyme were expected to appear strongly damped in recordings of the angular velocity of the filament.’
- ‘The angular velocity was chosen to 230 rpm, fast enough for aligning the membranes, preventing film rapture and dewetting, but also slow enough to keep the whole solvent on the wafer.’
- ‘For an object, or in this case a person, in a vehicle rotating around some central point, the centrifugal force, and hence the perceived loading, is proportional to the square of the angular velocity and the radius of rotation.’
- ‘Escape by small prey animals is possible as they are able turn in smaller radii and with higher angular velocities than the larger whales.’
- ‘The screw heads will not move at all with respect to each other, assuming that both screws are being rotated at the same angular velocity.’
- ‘Early results established that during rolling, cells do not slip over the surface; the magnitude of the translational velocity equals the product of the angular velocity and particle radius.’
- ‘During the throwing motion, athletes generate humeral angular velocities of up to 7000 deg/sec and torques exceeding 14,000 inch-pounds.’
- ‘These stresses generate humeral angular velocities of up to 7550 deg/sec and rotational torques of up to 67 N-m.’
- ‘Both right and left plates of the platform are connected to two tension springs that pull each plate down into 30 [degrees] of inversion at an average angular velocity of 440 deg/sec.’
- ‘The rotation of this helix was enforced by applying harmonic constraints that induced rotation of all heavy atoms of the helix around the helix axis with a constant angular velocity of 3.6 deg/ps.’
- ‘If the disk began rotating at one revolution per minute, you could observe the angular velocity by looking at it.’
- ‘The Kepler scholar Francis Warrain extended Kepler's researches and found that the angular velocities of Uranus, Neptune and Pluto, which were unknown during Kepler's lifetime, also correspond to harmonic ratios.’
- ‘For forward motion, the relationship between the angular velocity about the z axis, the yaw rate, and the pitch angle is shown in Fig.7.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.