One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The quantity of rotation of a body, which is the product of its moment of inertia and its angular velocity.
- ‘Bruns proved in 1887 that apart from the 10 classical integrals, 6 for the centre of gravity, 3 for angular momentum and one for energy, no others could exist.’
- ‘An equilibrium rotation rate is eventually reached where the angular momentum shed by emitting gravitational radiation matches the angular momentum being added to the pulsar by its companion star.’
- ‘To see how it works, consider the angular momentum or ‘spin ‘of an electron.’’
- ‘Depending on factors such as its mass, temperature, ratio of neutrons to protons, and angular momentum, the nucleus can exhibit a range of intricate and often puzzling behaviors.’
- ‘The angular momentum lost by the Earth's axial rotation appears in the lunar orbit, the total angular momentum being conserved.’
- ‘The reason for the Zeeman effect is that in a magnetic field, the angular momentum quantum state can undergo a displacement from degeneracy.’
- ‘Because the wheels are moving slow, the angular momentum is less and the direction of rotation is easily changed.’
- ‘They reasoned that because the wake vortices contain a lot of rotation, or angular momentum, then perhaps injecting a counteracting momentum into the wake would slow things down.’
- ‘It turns out that, both classically and quantum mechanically, there is a close connection between a particle's magnetic moment and its angular momentum.’
- ‘The orbital quantum number, l, gives the angular momentum of the electron.’
- ‘The orbital angular momentum of the silver atom is actually zero, not h / 2 as presumed in the Bohr model.’
- ‘He has bombarded his samples with circularly polarized light, which contains photons with spin angular momentum.’
- ‘There are four quantum numbers, n, l, m, and m s, that describe the energy levels, angular momentum, magnetic properties, and spin of the atom.’
- ‘For example, simulations could check that energy and angular momentum are conserved properly on the horizon.’
- ‘Since angular momentum is conserved we stay in a stable orbit.’
- ‘The only things they can know about the material trapped within the black hole horizon is its total mass, its total angular momentum, and its total electric charge.’
- ‘Keep in mind that as the radius of the cloud decreased, the angular momentum didn't decrease, and so the speed of the spin increased.’
- ‘This transfer changes the angular momentum of the stars, and changes their separation and orbital periods.’
- ‘He went on to work on the interaction of diatomic molecules with precessing electrons, studying the angular momentum within the molecule itself.’
- ‘As the Earth's speed of rotation diminishes owing to tidal friction, its angular momentum falls.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.