One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Excessive admiration of English customs.
- ‘Numerous conflicts, from the 14c Hundred Years War to the 18-19c colonial and revolutionary wars, did not prevent a mutual social and intellectual interest, accounting for Gallomania in Britain and Anglomania in France.’
- ‘Some of the gloss was taken from the image of Great Britain when her colonies rebelled, and Anglomania was partially eclipsed by enthusiasm for all things American.’
- ‘However, Anglomania prevalent at the time also made Newton's acceptance in France easier.’
- ‘The Romantic movement and the growth of a native Russian theatre mark a high period of Anglomania and the zenith of Shakespeare's popularity in tragedy.’
- ‘It was furthered too by the Anglomania of St Petersburg's social elite.’
- ‘In the mid-eighteenth century a long period of Anglomania began in Russia.’
- ‘But it really came into fashion when Anglomania was at its height around the turn of the century.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.