Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The variety of Norman French used in England after the Norman Conquest. It remained the language of the English nobility for several centuries.
- ‘This story first appears in Anglo-Norman before 1330 and becomes rapidly attached as a prelude to many of the French, Latin, and English versions of the Brut.’
- ‘Since the earliest extant works in Anglo-Norman French date from the first or second decade of the twelfth century, the literary language which first clearly gained at the expense of English was Latin.’
- ‘With the new aristocracy came a new language for government and polite society: Anglo-Norman.’
- ‘The Navigatio Sancti Brandani is one of the earliest substantial texts in Anglo-Norman, but there are earlier Latin versions, none from before the 10th cent.’
- ‘An interesting article, but I do have one complaint - the Jeu d' Adam extracts are only printed in the original Anglo-Norman.’
Relating to Anglo-Norman French.
- ‘In Baker's opinion, which he verifies in a circular and self-fulfilling fashion, early Anglo-Norman saints' lives observed the caesura strictly.’
- ‘And I got quite a bit of interest with a post on a 12 th-century Anglo-Norman play, so you don't have to worry about dealing with what some might see as obscure topics!’
- ‘Ayto explains that wafers were introduced to Britain in the 13th century by the incoming Normans, and that the word was taken directly from the Anglo-Norman wafre.’
- ‘The Anglo-Norman Vie Seinte Osith survives in a single manuscript of the thirteenth century, Welbeck Abbey MS.’
- ‘The Life of St Osith, extant in four Latin vitaeand one Anglo-Norman version, is one of the most fascinating of such post-Conquest re-inventions of Anglo-Saxon sanctity.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.