Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A person who fishes with a rod and line.‘a carp angler’
- ‘This lake sees carp anglers from all over Europe, eager to make the most of the warm winters.’
- ‘They do catch some good fish but so do anglers float fishing in close with big baits.’
- ‘I was also fortunate in having a lot of space to myself, as most of the anglers were on the carp lakes.’
- ‘Earlier in the week we had noticed three anglers camping and fishing by an island.’
- ‘With so many anglers fishing the lower river it's often a job to find a decent swim.’
- ‘The fishing was certainly tough but several lucky anglers did connect with good fish.’
- ‘Some days were more kind, however, and anglers caught fish on wet fly and dapping.’
- ‘With good hatches of midge and pond olives tempting fish, anglers have had a busy week.’
- ‘Yet it is true to say that most anglers leave their line on a reel for far too long.’
- ‘When the lure is taken the angler must grab the rod and strike the fish half a dozen times to fully make sure the hook is set.’
- ‘British Waterways is currently considering putting a notice up at Canal Head telling anglers not to fish in the canal.’
- ‘I won't go into great detail about the man except to mention that he is a carp angler.’
- ‘Each fish killed is one less to be caught by another angler and one less fish to spawn.’
- ‘I went for another half an hour before hooking my third rainbow making me the only angler to land three fish.’
- ‘Both anglers battled the fish and you could see they were getting a great fight.’
- ‘The angler can fish the planer, and the following bait, as far out from the bank as he wishes.’
- ‘We were the last group of anglers to fish Colin Lake before it closed down for the winter months.’
- ‘Apparently, two local anglers were fishing for blue shark in Galway Bay in a small boat.’
- ‘Despite the poor angling conditions a good number of anglers fished the lake with some success.’
- ‘Earlier this year, the government introduced a rule limiting the number of game fish caught by anglers to one.’
- 1.1short for anglerfish
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.