One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of desk lamp with a jointed arm and counterbalancing springs that hold it in any position to which it is adjusted.as modifier ‘an anglepoise lamp’
- ‘Instead, the LCD sprouts from a base unit less than a foot in diameter, and looks like an anglepoise lamp.’
- ‘Dudson drew up another chair and sat opposite the pilot, as DeVille thoughtfully found an anglepoise light to shine in his eyes.’
- ‘The preferred method of industrial espionage is to place a document on a flat surface - a desk is ideal - illuminate it with an anglepoise lamp and ‘photograph’ it.’
- ‘Thisisfurniture.com sells the Super Archimoon standard lamp by Philippe Starck, which looks like a giant, floor - standing anglepoise lamp, and costs £3,350.’
- ‘The office was dark so I could only just make out his outline, but he soon obliged me by flicking on the anglepoise lamp on the desk to light the place up again.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.