Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The steepest angle at which a sloping surface formed of loose material is stable.‘the angle of repose will vary locally according to the mechanics of shape and strength’
- ‘The Kelso sand dune habitat is composed of a continuum of inclines, that vary from flat to steep (up to 32°, which is the angle of repose for fine sand).’
- ‘In a silence dense as water your eye picks up no movement but the sloughing of sand, seeking its angle of repose.’
- ‘Piles of mine waste peak at uniform angles of repose.’
- ‘With little energy left at the top, we still had to descend, by the light of headlamps, 1,400 feet of a boulder field that had yet to settle on its angle of repose.’
- ‘The measured angle of repose increases as the subjective (angular vs. rounded) microscopic observation of angularity increases.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.