One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The steepest angle at which a sloping surface formed of loose material is stable.‘the angle of repose will vary locally according to the mechanics of shape and strength’
- ‘With little energy left at the top, we still had to descend, by the light of headlamps, 1,400 feet of a boulder field that had yet to settle on its angle of repose.’
- ‘In a silence dense as water your eye picks up no movement but the sloughing of sand, seeking its angle of repose.’
- ‘Piles of mine waste peak at uniform angles of repose.’
- ‘The measured angle of repose increases as the subjective (angular vs. rounded) microscopic observation of angularity increases.’
- ‘The Kelso sand dune habitat is composed of a continuum of inclines, that vary from flat to steep (up to 32°, which is the angle of repose for fine sand).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.