One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A constructional material consisting of pieces of iron or steel with an L-shaped cross section, able to be bolted together.
- ‘I added a piece of 2-inch angle iron to the hydraulic cylinder that operates the spout.’
- ‘A tower of plain oak chairs reaches for the ceiling like a rickety ladder to gallery heaven, supported at a juncture of the extended metal cabin and the greenhouse of the pickup's bed by an armature of rusted angle iron.’
- ‘I welded steel and angle iron to the bucket to reinforce the grapple fork control and hoses were moved to the front where they are accessible to the operator.’
- ‘I used 4-inch angle iron to make a 30-inch adapter between the regular carrier and the three-point hitch.’
- ‘Put galvanized steel on the top part of the styrofoam-plywood pieces and angle iron on the vertical edges.’
- ‘Some of the signs of a lower-quality trailer are smaller channel, angle iron, pine floors, and floors screwed rather than bolted.’
- ‘Workers again placed concrete mud beds on the subgrade under the drains and attached angle iron to them with concrete anchors.’
- 1.1count noun A piece of angle iron.
- ‘The examiner suggested to Mr. Mitchell that no-one from Emmons & Mitchell or Abe Dick had gone to the owners or to Mr. Garbutt to ask permission to remove the angle irons, to which Mr. Mitchell responded that there was nothing in writing.’
- ‘The bricks may be laid flat or on end, and to keep them from spreading, drive an angle iron against the corners.’
- ‘As shown in the photo, vertical form panels secured to the angle iron formed the walls of the drain, but the drain floors were left open.’
- ‘Alternating T-beams and angle irons, he spliced and overlapped their junctures, tying them together with chicken wire that he then tightly wrapped with wire mesh.’
- ‘Secure angle irons on the inside of the cornice top, near the ends, and at 45 ‘intervals or less.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.