Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An abnormal growth produced by the dilatation or new formation of blood vessels.
- ‘Neurological problems include unusual blood vessel growths on the brain called angiomas.’
- ‘Cherry angiomas are acquired vascular lesions that occur in up to 50 percent of adults.’
- ‘Fluid-filled cysts or tumors (benign or cancerous) may develop around the angiomas, worsening these symptoms.’
- ‘The physician should check for evidence of chronic alcoholism, including spider angiomata, gynecomastia, enlarged liver, or abnormal blood test results (elevated mean corpuscular volume or g-glutamyl transferase level).’
- ‘The laser can also provide relief for symptoms caused by benign airway tumors such as hamartomas, papillomas, polyps, and angiomas.’
Late 19th century: from Greek angeion vessel + -oma.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.