Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A very light, pale sponge cake made of flour, egg whites, and no fat, typically baked in a ring shape and covered with soft icing.
- ‘Norton's best trick for the home cook is turning an inexpensive store-bought angel food cake into a masterpiece.’
- ‘If you're making your own pound cake, brownies or angel food cake for the chocolate fondue, get baking.’
- ‘Here, her subjects range from the aspirations of a little girl in Harlem to Bessie Smith's vocals, angel food cake and the goings on at the local shooting range.’
- ‘She lives on angel food cake and she-crab soup, which she heats up on a little ring right there in her room.’
- ‘After dinner was done, mom took out some angel food cake and gave us all two pieces.’
- ‘Popular sellers are angel cakes, yeast breads, fruit pies (do not sell cream pies which may spoil on standing), dried homemade noodles and homemade jams and jellies.’
- ‘Bett's brew is the best you ever tasted and she made a couple of big angel food cakes too.’
- ‘You now eschew all animal products such as meat, poultry, fish, dairy, eggs and honey; that knocks even the angel food cake, which is 99 percent egg whites, right off your list.’
- ‘Puree mangoes in a food processor or blender and drizzle over rice pudding, angel food cake, sherbet or lowfat frozen yogurt.’
- ‘But over time, eggs can lose their ability to fluff up an angel food cake or make mayo creamy.’
- ‘This is a versatile recipe that can be doubled for company, or served between layers of sponge or angel cake.’
- ‘Right off, strawberries can be washed, sliced and sprinkled over green salads and tossed lightly with olive oil, scattered over pound or angel food cake or strewn atop a bowl of ice cream.’
- ‘Matthew's favorite angel food cake gets turned into sweet croutons when tossed in butter and toasted in the oven.’
- ‘I find it invaluable for things like angel food cakes and pancakes, so I can whip the egg whites in one mixer, while making the rest of the batter in the other.’
- ‘Food experts, including M.E.N. critic Ray King, will bake an angel cake as part of a gourmet fundraising banquet at Manchester's Simply Heathcotes on October 5.’
- ‘Wrapped in a blanket, I sat in the glow of the computer screen, dog at my feet, and conjured up memories of water the color of heaven, sand the color of angel cake, and the distinctive fertilizer smell of the true coral cay.’
- ‘Not that this illusion was derived from my mother's life nor lived out in my own: my floors are not mopped nor my tables polished, I bake no angel food cakes.’
- ‘Now, my husband may not be able to bake an angel cake or waltz but he's not bad on cars, so when I decided to look around for another set of wheels, I asked him to come along for the ride.’
- ‘Snacks such as angel food cake and gingersnap cookies can satisfy your sweet tooth without adding fat to your diet.’
- ‘I reached into my bag and took out a container with two pieces of angel food cake.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.