Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A relatively inactive male sex hormone produced by metabolism of testosterone.
- ‘Men secrete more androsterone than women do, and most men become unable to detect the stuff right around the time they start producing it themselves - at puberty.’
- ‘For the male sex hormone the names androsterone and testosterone as specialized terms, and androgens as a collective term, became more frequently used.’
- ‘Genetic deficiency of androsterone UDP-glucuronosyltransferase activity in Wistar rats is due to the loss of enzyme protein.’
- ‘As of now, however, the possible anticonvulsant effects of androsterone have not been well characterized.’
- ‘It is a necessary precursor of the estradiol (female sex hormone), androsterone (male sex hormone), and other hormones.’
1930s: from andro- + sterol + -one.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.