Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] An androgenic steroid from which testosterone and certain oestrogens are derived in humans.
- ‘But all three substances - creatine, androstenedione, and anabolic steroids - increase a naturally occurring substance in the body to promote the building of muscle tissue.’
- ‘Synthesis of testosterone and androstenedione from cholesterol occurs by the same pathways as indicated for synthesis of the male sex hormones.’
- ‘Androgenic products, namely androstenedione, are testosterone precursors, and transform to this hormone in the body.’
- ‘In one study, coral homogenates metabolized estradiol into estrone and testosterone into androstenedione and androstanedione.’
- ‘Examples of ergogenic aids are creatine, androstenedione, anabolic steroids, major pain medication, barbiturates, and amphetamines.’
1930s: from androsterone + -ene + di- + -one.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.