One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An androgenic steroid from which testosterone and certain oestrogens are derived in humans.
- ‘Examples of ergogenic aids are creatine, androstenedione, anabolic steroids, major pain medication, barbiturates, and amphetamines.’
- ‘Androgenic products, namely androstenedione, are testosterone precursors, and transform to this hormone in the body.’
- ‘Synthesis of testosterone and androstenedione from cholesterol occurs by the same pathways as indicated for synthesis of the male sex hormones.’
- ‘In one study, coral homogenates metabolized estradiol into estrone and testosterone into androstenedione and androstanedione.’
- ‘But all three substances - creatine, androstenedione, and anabolic steroids - increase a naturally occurring substance in the body to promote the building of muscle tissue.’
1930s: from androsterone + -ene + di- + -one.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.