Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An androgenic steroid from which testosterone and certain oestrogens are derived in humans.
- ‘Examples of ergogenic aids are creatine, androstenedione, anabolic steroids, major pain medication, barbiturates, and amphetamines.’
- ‘In one study, coral homogenates metabolized estradiol into estrone and testosterone into androstenedione and androstanedione.’
- ‘Androgenic products, namely androstenedione, are testosterone precursors, and transform to this hormone in the body.’
- ‘But all three substances - creatine, androstenedione, and anabolic steroids - increase a naturally occurring substance in the body to promote the building of muscle tissue.’
- ‘Synthesis of testosterone and androstenedione from cholesterol occurs by the same pathways as indicated for synthesis of the male sex hormones.’
1930s: from androsterone + -ene + di- + -one.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.