Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A collection of symptoms, including fatigue and a decrease in libido, experienced by some older men and attributed to a gradual decline in testosterone levels.
- ‘There's scant evidence that so-called andropause - low testosterone in aging men - causes depression, says Columbia University psychiatrist Stuart Seidman.’
- ‘And whenever this bump comes along, when they go through menopause or andropause, that's enough to initiate the process of Alzheimer's disease.’
- ‘However, since its existence was first mooted more than 50 years ago, the condition - also known as andropause - has been the subject of bitter divisions within the medical profession.’
- ‘At the moment, medical opinion is divided over whether or not the ‘male menopause’, known as the andropause, exists.’
- ‘Are older people likely to demand cures for wrinkles, baldness, yellow teeth, and relief from symptoms of the menopause and andropause?’
- ‘Sometimes called andropause, the loss of testosterone can cause memory loss, depression, and decreased sex drive, and it usually affects men age 50 or older.’
- ‘We offer natural supplements for thyroid support, menopause, andropause, peri-menopause, bone health, enhancing libido, and more.’
- ‘At an advanced age, men can also face andropause, or a cessation of sexual functioning.’
- ‘We found that depression is very intimately linked with the andropause.’
- ‘As they age, men experience andropause or ADAM - androgen decline in the aging male, a gradual decline in the production of testosterone; this may begin as early as age 40.’
- ‘Some call this stage andropause, Kamhi says, which can slow sexual response time.’
- ‘Men get osteoporosis, too, and are even more susceptible if they abuse alcohol, take steroids or are past andropause - the age when testosterone levels decline.’
- ‘Over half a century later the medical community has not come to a consensus on whether the symptoms of andropause are truly a manifestation of testosterone deficiency.’
- ‘His studies have focused on the relationships between hormone levels, age and health problems, with evidence pointing to the existence of a ‘male menopause’ - otherwise known as andropause.’
1960s: from andro-, on the pattern of menopause.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.