Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A collection of symptoms, including fatigue and a decrease in libido, experienced by some older men and attributed to a gradual decline in testosterone levels.
- ‘His studies have focused on the relationships between hormone levels, age and health problems, with evidence pointing to the existence of a ‘male menopause’ - otherwise known as andropause.’
- ‘At an advanced age, men can also face andropause, or a cessation of sexual functioning.’
- ‘At the moment, medical opinion is divided over whether or not the ‘male menopause’, known as the andropause, exists.’
- ‘As they age, men experience andropause or ADAM - androgen decline in the aging male, a gradual decline in the production of testosterone; this may begin as early as age 40.’
- ‘Sometimes called andropause, the loss of testosterone can cause memory loss, depression, and decreased sex drive, and it usually affects men age 50 or older.’
- ‘Over half a century later the medical community has not come to a consensus on whether the symptoms of andropause are truly a manifestation of testosterone deficiency.’
- ‘We found that depression is very intimately linked with the andropause.’
- ‘Are older people likely to demand cures for wrinkles, baldness, yellow teeth, and relief from symptoms of the menopause and andropause?’
- ‘There's scant evidence that so-called andropause - low testosterone in aging men - causes depression, says Columbia University psychiatrist Stuart Seidman.’
- ‘Some call this stage andropause, Kamhi says, which can slow sexual response time.’
- ‘However, since its existence was first mooted more than 50 years ago, the condition - also known as andropause - has been the subject of bitter divisions within the medical profession.’
- ‘And whenever this bump comes along, when they go through menopause or andropause, that's enough to initiate the process of Alzheimer's disease.’
- ‘Men get osteoporosis, too, and are even more susceptible if they abuse alcohol, take steroids or are past andropause - the age when testosterone levels decline.’
- ‘We offer natural supplements for thyroid support, menopause, andropause, peri-menopause, bone health, enhancing libido, and more.’
1960s: from andro-, on the pattern of menopause.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.