One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bog rosemary, especially (marsh andromeda) the common bog rosemary.
- ‘Where there is enough room, andromeda forms a tall natural screen in sun or shade, eventually growing twelve-fifteen-feet tall and eight-foot across.’
- ‘There, the pathogen readily attacked a mountain laurel (Kalmia latifolia ‘Madeline’), mountain andromeda, dusty zenobia, and the common nursery rhododendron ‘Nova Zembla.’’
- ‘S. takeyai is an alien species in North America, first reported on Pieris japonica (Japanese andromeda) at Greenwich, Connecticut in 1946.’
An Ethiopian princess whose mother Cassiopeia boasted that she herself (or, in some stories, her daughter) was more beautiful than the Nereids. In revenge Poseidon sent a sea monster to ravage the country; to placate him Andromeda was fastened to a rock and exposed to the monster, from which she was rescued by Perseus.
A large northern constellation between Perseus and Pegasus, with few bright stars. It is chiefly notable for the Andromeda Galaxy (or Great Nebula of Andromeda), a conspicuous spiral galaxy probably twice as massive as our own and located two million light years away.
- 2.1as genitive Andromedae /anˈdrɒmɪdiː, anˈdrɒmɪdʌɪ/ Used with preceding letter or numeral to designate a star in the constellation Andromeda.‘the star Gamma Andromedae’
- 2.1as genitive Andromedae /anˈdrɒmɪdiː, anˈdrɒmɪdʌɪ/ Used with preceding letter or numeral to designate a star in the constellation Andromeda.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.