Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A bog rosemary, especially (marsh andromeda) the common bog rosemary.
- ‘There, the pathogen readily attacked a mountain laurel (Kalmia latifolia ‘Madeline’), mountain andromeda, dusty zenobia, and the common nursery rhododendron ‘Nova Zembla.’’
- ‘Where there is enough room, andromeda forms a tall natural screen in sun or shade, eventually growing twelve-fifteen-feet tall and eight-foot across.’
- ‘S. takeyai is an alien species in North America, first reported on Pieris japonica (Japanese andromeda) at Greenwich, Connecticut in 1946.’
An Ethiopian princess whose mother Cassiopeia boasted that she herself (or, in some stories, her daughter) was more beautiful than the Nereids. In revenge Poseidon sent a sea monster to ravage the country; to placate him Andromeda was fastened to a rock and exposed to the monster, from which she was rescued by Perseus.
A large northern constellation between Perseus and Pegasus, with few bright stars. It is chiefly notable for the Andromeda Galaxy (or Great Nebula of Andromeda), a conspicuous spiral galaxy probably twice as massive as our own and located two million light years away.
- 2.1Used with preceding letter or numeral to designate a star in this constellation.‘the star Gamma Andromedae’
- 2.1Used with preceding letter or numeral to designate a star in this constellation.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.