Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The stamens of a flower collectively.
- ‘Only at a fairly late developmental stage does the corolla finally overtop the androecium and gynoecium.’
- ‘The Caribbean species differs in tepal pubescence as well as in important characters of the androecium and the relationship may not be so close as previously assumed.’
- ‘From each plant one randomly chosen, fresh flower was dissected under a binocular microscope to separate the corolla, androecium and gynoecium.’
- ‘The androecium of each flower had dehisced on the morning of sampling.’
- ‘However, their androecia and gynoecia present considerable diversity.’
Mid 19th century: modern Latin, from andro- + Greek oikion house.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.