Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Enlargement of the five androecial primordia shapes the remaining central portion of the floral apex into a pentagon, upon which the two carpel primordia are initiated simultaneously.’
- ‘It was shown that the androecial initiation was centripetal, whereas the microsporogenesis and anther maturation were centrifugal.’
- ‘Thus, reconsidering the importance of these androecial features is necessary, and new morphological characters are needed for a better understanding of legume evolution.’
- ‘Beetles began to escape the day pollen was shed due to changes in the androecial wall.’
- ‘Floral development has been studied at our lab in a broad range of angiosperm taxa with special emphasis on floral nectaries, androecial patterns and gynoecial characters.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.