Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Hyde hides what androcratic society will not countenance: sexuality celebrated and inscribed by a woman.’
- ‘According to Eisler, the partnership model has existed in some prehistoric societies until it got swept by androcratic and patriarchal societies.’
- ‘The enforcement of androcratic rule has constrained our spiritual as well as our cultural development.’
- ‘‘I reject the assumption that civilization refers only to androcratic warrior societies,’ Gimbutas wrote.’
- ‘By contrast, existing white civilization was (in Riane Eisler's word) androcratic and male dominated.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.