Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The method and practice of teaching adult learners; adult education:‘much has been written about andragogy in general education circles over the past fifty years’
teaching, schooling, tuition, tutoring, instruction, pedagogy, andragogy, coaching, training, tutelage, drilling, preparation, guidance, indoctrination, inculcation, enlightenment, edification, cultivation, development, improvement, betteringView synonyms
- ‘This principle is consistent with theories of teaching and learning for children (pedagogy) and adults (andragogy).’
- ‘This concept of learning is consistent with andragogy, a learning model frequently preferred by adult learners where practice experiences are integrated with theoretical coursework.’
- ‘The most widely known model of instruction for adult learners is Knowles' model of andragogy.’
- ‘Given these principles of andragogy, experiential learning can be an effective methodology for teaching adults.’
- ‘Compared to the traditional instructor-centered pedagogy, andragogy assumes five factors related to helping adults learn.’
- ‘While most music teachers are familiar with the basic tenants of pedagogy, the principles and assumptions of andragogy take the life experiences, phases of life and personal issues of the adult into account.’
- ‘The value of an environment that supports learning is not only a common sense suggestion that is reinforced by literature on andragogy, but is bolstered by our growing understanding of how the brain works.’
1920s: blend of andro- and pedagogy.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.