One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The method and practice of teaching adult learners; adult education.‘much has been written about andragogy in general education circles over the past fifty years’
teaching, schooling, tuition, tutoring, instruction, pedagogy, coaching, training, tutelage, drilling, preparation, guidance, indoctrination, inculcation, enlightenment, edification, cultivation, development, improvement, betteringView synonyms
- ‘While most music teachers are familiar with the basic tenants of pedagogy, the principles and assumptions of andragogy take the life experiences, phases of life and personal issues of the adult into account.’
- ‘Compared to the traditional instructor-centered pedagogy, andragogy assumes five factors related to helping adults learn.’
- ‘This concept of learning is consistent with andragogy, a learning model frequently preferred by adult learners where practice experiences are integrated with theoretical coursework.’
- ‘Given these principles of andragogy, experiential learning can be an effective methodology for teaching adults.’
- ‘The most widely known model of instruction for adult learners is Knowles' model of andragogy.’
- ‘This principle is consistent with theories of teaching and learning for children (pedagogy) and adults (andragogy).’
- ‘The value of an environment that supports learning is not only a common sense suggestion that is reinforced by literature on andragogy, but is bolstered by our growing understanding of how the brain works.’
1920s: blend of andro- and pedagogy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.