Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘The hydrothermal activity may have been related to contemporary andesitic and/or granitic magmatism.’
- ‘Batholiths and a large number of minor granitoid intrusions and andesitic lavas were produced showing predominantly calc-alkaline characteristic.’
- ‘The sequence includes tuffaceous sandstone, andesitic sandstone and radiolarian chert.’
- ‘The Longcroft Tuffs, a poorly exposed succession at least 140 m thick, are dominated by lapilli tuffs of andesitic composition.’
- ‘Previous work also has documented the presence of two distinct magma compositions beneath Nevado del Ruiz, one andesitic and the other dacitic, with mixing and mingling between the two during the November 1985 eruption.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.