Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
And plenty more than that.‘we got our money's worth and then some’
- ‘It was exactly what the boy in blue suspected, and then some.’
- ‘Isolation, fear, death, blood, the macabre, pain: this film has it all - and then some.’
- ‘Bowie would have to use the rest of his career - and then some - just to get even.’
- ‘Although I have enough offprints to meet the requests I've had, and then some, it will take me a while to process them all.’
- ‘The bride was able to cover her meal, her drinks and then some out of the money she made.’
- ‘As far as the fair share statement goes, Minnesota has gotten its fair share and then some.’
- ‘After we'd done all we could possibly think of and then some, I yanked on the pull cord.’
- ‘Now the sun will supply enough light to illuminate half the world at one sitting, so there's plenty of power and then some.’
- ‘Four decades later, that ambition has been realised, and then some.’
- ‘I've put on all the weight I lost during last year's diet, and then some.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.