One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
And similar things; et cetera.‘the preservation of endangered species in zoos, botanical gardens, and the like’
- ‘We had no TV, no video games and the like, but we accepted life and got on with it.’
- ‘Eton food was all horribly unimaginative, stews and the like, and the only thing I enjoyed was fish.’
- ‘His siblings all went into law, medicine and the like, but he had a more artistic bent.’
- ‘We need to look at how we can strengthen families, parenting skills, and the like.’
- ‘I owe some of my initial successes to old friends at Oxford who put me in touch with publishers and the like.’
- ‘I've spent the entire day sorting and washing baby clothes and the like.’
- ‘The old kitchen garden was also replanted, with vines, apricots, peaches, and the like.’
- ‘Writers of fiction often use the same effect to present swift action, changes in thinking, and the like.’
- ‘Many passed up far better paid jobs to work for peanuts as MP's researchers and the like.’
- ‘The boot includes hooks for shopping bags and the like and the exterior is enhanced by alloy wheels.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.