Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Used to refer vaguely to other things associated with what has been mentioned:‘you'll still get paid and everything’
- ‘Why couldn't they have told me this when I was having the plans done and everything?’
- ‘She asked me to come over and join her, and I looked into flights and visas and everything.’
- ‘She hadn't got a break planned what with the wedding preparations and everything.’
- ‘My legs go straight out in front of me and all the gears and everything are up by my chest and I just cycle with my arms.’
- ‘You recall how I was all chuffed and everything about how ace he is and how he finds the coolest things?’
- ‘I could see you all and I was shouting and everything but no words would come out.’
- ‘My dad and I were talking about life, the universe and everything over the weekend.’
- ‘The sail cloths and everything will have to be put together and you'll need a steady hand to paint it all.’
- ‘It's all very exciting and everything but the thing is that I don't really want to move.’
- ‘He loves animals so much that he went a grabbed a load of them and let them live on his property and everything.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.