One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
And/or anything else similar.‘all these home-made sweets and cakes and what have you’
and so on, and so forth, and so on and so forth, and the rest, and the like, or the like, and suchlike, or suchlike, and more of the same, or more of the same, and similar things, or similar things, et cetera et cetera, and others, among others, et al., etc.View synonyms
- ‘You can't be cutting educational programs, social welfare programs and what have you, and pushing tax cuts - which I think are very important for the economy - at the same time.’
- ‘They turn ‘waste’ into creative art - greeting cards, collage, brush paintings, decorative waste bins out of discarded biscuit tins and what have you.’
- ‘Some people have recently faulted others for commenting on only a small part of a piece - whether a blog post, a newspaper article, a book, or what have you.’
- ‘I mean, there are an awful lot of journalists who themselves were personally touched by it, either by seeing it or knowing a friend or what have you who were affected or killed or lost.’
- ‘‘There's a lot of other people in life that don't get second chances,’ he said, ‘or have diseases or have a freak accident or what have you.’’
- ‘I don't really care for movies, nor do I follow TV shows, be they soap operas, sitcoms, variety shows, reality shows or what have you.’
- ‘It is not a case of something like drains or dry rot or what have you that he can do anything about.’
- ‘With sword-wielding heroes back in fashion, the door is now open for the upcoming Troy, two parallel films about Alexander the Great, the allegedly final Star Wars episode, and what have you.’
- ‘I am asking is there no surveillance for example, on turkey and so on, or chicken or what have you?’
- ‘We have some fifty years of trying to address this problem through public avenues such as schools, government ads, policing programs, driver education, the penal system, and what have you.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.