One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
And everything else of a similar type that might be mentioned.‘it's all very well to talk about natural affection and love and the rest of it’
- ‘Of course we need something called a job, money, cars, TVs, computers, gourmet gadgets and the rest of it.’
- ‘I bought her book, stocked up on butter beans, fennel and the rest of it, and fell at the first hurdle - when I discovered that her sweet-potato wedges were even more delicious with big dollops of full-fat mayonnaise.’
- ‘I love crosswords - I love the cryptic clues and the obscure quotes from Shakespeare and all the rest.’
- ‘If you believe in transubstantiation, parthenogenesis and the rest of it, you're deemed fit to run the country.’
- ‘All people do is give up chocolate and all the rest of it - and I don't think that does you any good whatsoever.’
- ‘He is eminently quotable, verbose, fanciful and the rest of it, apparently fabulously wealthy and yet, quite possibly, a fantasist.’
- ‘It was bearable for the first minute, when we said hello and the rest of it.’
- ‘And you find it in the health service, you find it in education and the rest of it.’
- ‘At the level of petty, paranoid and the rest of it, this doesn't matter very much.’
- ‘If this makes it worse what is going to happen in terms of our house insurance and the rest of it?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.