One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A port on the Adriatic coast of central Italy, capital of Marche region; population 102,047 (2008).
A chicken of a breed with black-and-white mottled plumage.
- ‘Anconas are a little heavier than Leghorns and lay good sized white eggs.’
- ‘As well as individual success for the Ancona, Mr Addison's birds also won a string of prizes at the Staffordshire show in classes for Old English Game bantams, pullets and Weaten hens.’
- ‘Originally known as Black Leghorns, Anconas have lustrous black feathers, some tipped with white, giving a beautiful mottled appearance.’
- ‘The Ancona's feathers are black, some being tipped white, giving the bird a pretty mottled appearance.’
- ‘The Ancona originated near the city of Ancona, Italy, from early Leghorns and other breeds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.