One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An old building or site that is preserved by an official agency.
- ‘A North Yorkshire County Council archaeological team deduced the site was an ancient monument known as the Spittell, which they believe was a medieval hospital.’
- ‘Already there are 12 hotels to accommodate the 880,000 tourist trips made here each year, plus five ancient monuments and 146 listed buildings.’
- ‘It is endlessly fascinating, utterly compelling and a feast for the eye with fountains, churches, palaces and ancient monuments at every turn.’
- ‘In many respects York is the king of cities because of its unique history and the fantastically preserved ancient monuments.’
- ‘Historic buildings and ancient monuments across North Yorkshire continue to be threatened by neglect and decay, a report has revealed.’
- ‘York Central is close to York Station, a Grade II * listed building, and the ancient monument of York's historic city walls.’
- ‘Jobs could be threatened in Hull under blanket moves by English Heritage to designate as an ancient monument the whole site of the city's former 16th century garrison.’
- ‘A developer is going ahead with development plans on an ancient monument site - despite having his latest planning appeal rejected.’
- ‘A European Landscape Convention was agreed last year, binding signatory Governments to protect landscapes as they do ancient monuments and buildings (although the UK has not yet signed).’
- ‘Normally, land owners are encouraged to apply for grants to restore listed buildings and scheduled ancient monuments on the at risk register.’
- ‘Critics say the Coppergate Riverside extension to the Coppergate Centre would ruin the setting of the 13 th century Clifford's Tower, a scheduled ancient monument, and the Grade I-listed Castle Museum and Law Courts.’
- ‘The city's skyline was changed forever, with everything from the hospital to ancient monuments destroyed.’
- ‘The Centre will also be committed to the cause of preservation of ancient monuments and historic buildings and associated conservation efforts, he said.’
- ‘Another large area of the site incorporates the Hoffman Kiln, a scheduled ancient monument and one of the best preserved examples of its type in the country.’
- ‘The banks of the Nile are lined with ancient monuments and unusual sites, like banana plantations.’
- ‘However, historic buildings and ancient monuments are a finite and irreplaceable resource.’
- ‘‘Involving the public in preserving temples and other ancient monuments is necessary,’ Mr. Jeyaraj said.’
- ‘The present heritage protection system sees listed buildings, ancient monuments and historic parks, gardens and battlefields governed by different rules but English Heritage wants to simplify things under one system.’
- ‘Many are angry that Mr Hadgraft had allegedly tried to close a footpath running across the ancient monument site, which they believe has been a right of way since time immemorial.’
- ‘In 1781, Carlo Antonini published a study on the carved rosettes found decorating most interior ceilings of these ancient monuments and buildings.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.