One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An old building or site that is preserved by an official agency.
- ‘Jobs could be threatened in Hull under blanket moves by English Heritage to designate as an ancient monument the whole site of the city's former 16th century garrison.’
- ‘Critics say the Coppergate Riverside extension to the Coppergate Centre would ruin the setting of the 13 th century Clifford's Tower, a scheduled ancient monument, and the Grade I-listed Castle Museum and Law Courts.’
- ‘Many are angry that Mr Hadgraft had allegedly tried to close a footpath running across the ancient monument site, which they believe has been a right of way since time immemorial.’
- ‘A developer is going ahead with development plans on an ancient monument site - despite having his latest planning appeal rejected.’
- ‘However, historic buildings and ancient monuments are a finite and irreplaceable resource.’
- ‘Historic buildings and ancient monuments across North Yorkshire continue to be threatened by neglect and decay, a report has revealed.’
- ‘Another large area of the site incorporates the Hoffman Kiln, a scheduled ancient monument and one of the best preserved examples of its type in the country.’
- ‘The present heritage protection system sees listed buildings, ancient monuments and historic parks, gardens and battlefields governed by different rules but English Heritage wants to simplify things under one system.’
- ‘York Central is close to York Station, a Grade II * listed building, and the ancient monument of York's historic city walls.’
- ‘Already there are 12 hotels to accommodate the 880,000 tourist trips made here each year, plus five ancient monuments and 146 listed buildings.’
- ‘In many respects York is the king of cities because of its unique history and the fantastically preserved ancient monuments.’
- ‘‘Involving the public in preserving temples and other ancient monuments is necessary,’ Mr. Jeyaraj said.’
- ‘A North Yorkshire County Council archaeological team deduced the site was an ancient monument known as the Spittell, which they believe was a medieval hospital.’
- ‘Normally, land owners are encouraged to apply for grants to restore listed buildings and scheduled ancient monuments on the at risk register.’
- ‘A European Landscape Convention was agreed last year, binding signatory Governments to protect landscapes as they do ancient monuments and buildings (although the UK has not yet signed).’
- ‘In 1781, Carlo Antonini published a study on the carved rosettes found decorating most interior ceilings of these ancient monuments and buildings.’
- ‘The banks of the Nile are lined with ancient monuments and unusual sites, like banana plantations.’
- ‘It is endlessly fascinating, utterly compelling and a feast for the eye with fountains, churches, palaces and ancient monuments at every turn.’
- ‘The Centre will also be committed to the cause of preservation of ancient monuments and historic buildings and associated conservation efforts, he said.’
- ‘The city's skyline was changed forever, with everything from the hospital to ancient monuments destroyed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.