One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An old building or site that is preserved by an official agency.
- ‘Another large area of the site incorporates the Hoffman Kiln, a scheduled ancient monument and one of the best preserved examples of its type in the country.’
- ‘Jobs could be threatened in Hull under blanket moves by English Heritage to designate as an ancient monument the whole site of the city's former 16th century garrison.’
- ‘The city's skyline was changed forever, with everything from the hospital to ancient monuments destroyed.’
- ‘A European Landscape Convention was agreed last year, binding signatory Governments to protect landscapes as they do ancient monuments and buildings (although the UK has not yet signed).’
- ‘In 1781, Carlo Antonini published a study on the carved rosettes found decorating most interior ceilings of these ancient monuments and buildings.’
- ‘York Central is close to York Station, a Grade II * listed building, and the ancient monument of York's historic city walls.’
- ‘The Centre will also be committed to the cause of preservation of ancient monuments and historic buildings and associated conservation efforts, he said.’
- ‘A developer is going ahead with development plans on an ancient monument site - despite having his latest planning appeal rejected.’
- ‘Normally, land owners are encouraged to apply for grants to restore listed buildings and scheduled ancient monuments on the at risk register.’
- ‘It is endlessly fascinating, utterly compelling and a feast for the eye with fountains, churches, palaces and ancient monuments at every turn.’
- ‘The banks of the Nile are lined with ancient monuments and unusual sites, like banana plantations.’
- ‘The present heritage protection system sees listed buildings, ancient monuments and historic parks, gardens and battlefields governed by different rules but English Heritage wants to simplify things under one system.’
- ‘In many respects York is the king of cities because of its unique history and the fantastically preserved ancient monuments.’
- ‘A North Yorkshire County Council archaeological team deduced the site was an ancient monument known as the Spittell, which they believe was a medieval hospital.’
- ‘Critics say the Coppergate Riverside extension to the Coppergate Centre would ruin the setting of the 13 th century Clifford's Tower, a scheduled ancient monument, and the Grade I-listed Castle Museum and Law Courts.’
- ‘‘Involving the public in preserving temples and other ancient monuments is necessary,’ Mr. Jeyaraj said.’
- ‘However, historic buildings and ancient monuments are a finite and irreplaceable resource.’
- ‘Already there are 12 hotels to accommodate the 880,000 tourist trips made here each year, plus five ancient monuments and 146 listed buildings.’
- ‘Historic buildings and ancient monuments across North Yorkshire continue to be threatened by neglect and decay, a report has revealed.’
- ‘Many are angry that Mr Hadgraft had allegedly tried to close a footpath running across the ancient monument site, which they believe has been a right of way since time immemorial.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.