One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large aromatic variety of chilli, used (usually dried) in dishes of Mexican origin or style.
- ‘Look for dried ancho chilies in Latino markets.’
- ‘They come to dine on the popular eatery's cinnamon rolls, the roasted ancho chile rellenos, the strong coffee.’
- ‘Discard the ancho chili and season with the lime juice and salt.’
- ‘My favorites: the cauliflower gratin, the cornbread-chorizo dressing, and the spiced-up ancho chile pumpkin pie.’
- ‘Much of the sophistication of Mexican cuisine comes from the use of more than one hundred different types of chiles, which range from the large and ‘sweet’ chile ancho to the small and extremely hot chile habanero.’
- ‘For example, a poblano can also be called pasilla, unless it is dried; then it is sometimes an ancho, adding to the chaos.’
- ‘I love a side dish of anchos sauteed in butter and olive oil, more butter and olive oil than they need.’
- ‘A waitress brought over a bowl of popcorn flavored with ancho chile and orange.’
- ‘The barbecued ribs (lacquered with a sweet sauce made with ancho chilies and guava) were stacked like little logs and fell neatly off the bone.’
- ‘When it's done, I'll fry a potato with some ancho chili in the same oil (I wish I could find the salt).’
- ‘Ladle some sauce over the shank and drizzle some ancho chili honey on top.’
- ‘Harris's recipe for Chile-Rubbed Ribs calls for an ancho chili and lemon pepper seasoning on baby back pork.’
- ‘The flavor of the turkey is not the point; the ancho chilies are.’
- ‘Other options on the menu include the tortilla soup, a large bowl of tasty broth, made with ancho and guajillo chillies.’
- ‘The sauce is simply ancho chillies, beef stock, venison/duck trimmings and prickly pears cooked together then blended, strained and reduced.’
- ‘Each is desperate to entice you with luscious tomatilla salsa and freshly harvested prickly pears and aching to discuss whether your chilli preference is for ancho or chipotle.’
- ‘Soak the ancho chili in warm water for 20 minutes and drain.’
- ‘If you can't find them, substitute dried ancho chiles.’
- ‘I was supposed to de-stem and tear up 1.5 ounces each of mulato, ancho and pasillo chilies.’
- ‘To that end, the typical box of Vosges truffles mixes exotic flavors from all over the globe, including Japanese wasabi, Italian taleggio cheese, and Mexican ancho chili.’
From Mexican Spanish (chile) ancho, ‘wide (chilli)’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.