Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in Aboriginal culture) any of the beings associated with the creation of the earth in the Dreamtime.‘one of the ancestor beings walked this country’
- ‘When these Beings are addressed, we are expected to know that the speaker and the ancestor Being are on close speaking terms.’
- ‘The dreamtime is essentially law passed down from ancestor beings to prescribe how people behave.’
- ‘The Keeper of Souls gave way to the ancestor being that was summoned.’
- ‘The carved stones or boards contained the ancestor being.’
- ‘There corresponds the incorporation in the craftsmen of the characteristics of the ancestor being represented.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.