One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An extreme, often life-threatening allergic reaction to an antigen to which the body has become hypersensitive.
- ‘A post-mortem examination in Spain revealed Mr Harris, who knew he was allergic to wasp stings, had died from anaphylactic shock.’
- ‘Certain types of foods can cause anaphylactic shock in some people.’
- ‘In extreme cases, they could trigger a life-threatening anaphylactic shock, a commission spokesman added.’
- ‘Such an allergic reaction can bring on anaphylactic shock.’
- ‘Still, hundreds of Americans die of anaphylactic shock each year.’
- ‘Even a small amount could cause a dangerous reaction called anaphylaxis or anaphylactic shock.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.