One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘That poem, ‘The Pig and the Rooster,’ was in anapestic tetrameter, the poetic meter of ‘The Night before Christmas.’’
- ‘‘The Beautiful Changes’ consists of three six-line stanzas in loose iambics with an anapestic lilt.’
- ‘But the repetition of ‘call to me’ in its dactylic form makes a continuous anapaestic reading impossible, and the stress dactyls in the following lines makes it clearly inappropriate.’
- ‘This anapaestic rhyme comes from Westmounter Harry Mayerovitch, author of Limericks for Hereticks.’
- ‘Australian psychiatrist Dr John Diamond discovered that the muscles go weak when subjected to ‘stopped anapestic beat of hard rock.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.