Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A method of approaching philosophical problems through analysis of the terms in which they are expressed, associated with Anglo-American philosophy of the early 20th century.
- ‘Feminist critiques may have been legitimate for some kinds of analytic philosophy, especially logical positivism, but because analytic philosophy has changed, the objections do not hold for most contemporary work.’
- ‘This is particularly unusual in twentieth century analytic philosophy, where the approach to philosophical problems is usually more piecemeal.’
- ‘This movement is often known as ‘analytical Marxism’, since its proponents aim to reformulate Marx's insights using the tools and methods of contemporary Anglo-American analytic philosophy and social science.’
- ‘The misreading of Hegel is standard form in 20th century French philosophy - just as it is in Anglo-American analytic philosophy.’
- ‘During the 1960s many young philosophers began again to turn to the moral problems of modern society, utilizing the philosophical tools of modern Anglo-American analytic philosophy.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.