Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Geometry using coordinates.
- ‘Miss Scott was a geometer who whenever possible brought to analytical geometry the full resources of pure geometrical reasoning.’
- ‘Judging by the preview page, which also has PDFs of introductory material and the first chapter, I doubt if it'll change established analytical geometry.’
- ‘From September to December 1883 Stieltjes lectured on analytical geometry and on descriptive geometry.’
- ‘In 1876 Veronese was appointed as assistant in analytical geometry on the strength of his paper on Pascal's hexagram which he had completed by this time.’
- ‘The new algebra and analytical geometry of Viète was read by Newton from Frans van Schooten's edition of Viète's collected works published in 1646.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.