Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Representing sounds by composite signs rather than by single letters or symbols.‘Chinese has an analphabetic writing system’
- ‘Are you sure that the font contains glyphs for each of the analphabetic symbols you're looking for?’
- ‘In Part 2 of this series, I will address additional type issues, including analphabetic glyphs and the role of English in Japanese design.’
- ‘We have the ability to create any new analphabetic mark we can imagine, and integrate it into our personal work.’
- ‘Keeping in mind the goal of minimizing disruption on the page, analphabetic marks frequently require extra attention.’
- ‘The analphabetic characters that specify formatting information are themselves part of a hybrid scheme.’
2Completely illiterate.‘at least one of my grandmothers was unlettered, analphabetic’
unable to read or write, unlettered, analphabetic, functionally illiterateView synonyms
- ‘Given the limited distribution of media technology in the Soviet Union at the time, the political leadership used holidays instrumentally to familiarize a largely analphabetic population with the goals and visions of the revolution.’
- ‘The person who said that ‘a picture is worth a thousand words’ must have been an analphabetic nitwit.’
- ‘His enemies were all analphabetic, meaning illiterate, and had on a Tutu.’
- ‘The most important activities of the last period were the training courses focused on fighting the analphabetic youth in Zimbabwe and course for young single mothers in Bangladesh.’
- ‘We organise mine risk education courses through theatre acts for analphabetic people, puppets for children, radio announcements.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.