Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Displaying abnormal aggressive and destructive tendencies supposedly caused by fixation at the anal stage of development.
- ‘Their interest in chess was strongly linked to the character traits and most of them were of the anal-sadistic type.’
- ‘In addition to the oral, anal-sadistic, and ego stages, there are the phallic and genital stages, corresponding to adolescence and puberty.’
- ‘The initial defense is to the anal-sadistic level, but the impulses at this level are also intolerable and must be warded-off - by reaction formation, isolation, and undoing.’
- ‘The novel offers a story of compulsive, anal-sadistic pursuit set in a world in which ice is slowly but inexorably taking over the planet.’
- ‘Powerful erotic fantasies of an anal-sadistic character surrounded the image of the Presidential contender.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.