One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Excessively orderly and fussy (supposedly owing to conflict over toilet-training in infancy).
- ‘The mechanics at Hawk are very good at getting them absolutely immaculate, just the way I like them because they are the kind of anal-retentive people like me who like to get the bike so it's clean enough to eat your dinner off.’
- ‘A sleeper hit in Britain, Leaves has managed to bring both professional editors and amateur anal-retentive sticklers out of the closet to exalt the splendor of semicolons, the cunning of commas, the debonair of the dash.’
- ‘You've gotta be a micromanaging, anal-retentive control freak.’
- ‘He knew from experience not to try to force others into the same anal-retentive habits he had.’
- ‘And here's the proof: a glorious four-CD retrospective that gathers album tracks, B-sides and rarities for fans and anal-retentive obsessives alike - and it's a joy.’
A person who is excessively orderly and fussy.
- ‘But, once again, we're just being anal-retentives so don't mind us.’
- ‘The lyrics are at once sensitive, dramatic, and tragic, but so entertaining that even the anal-retentive could lose themselves in the sheer buzz of it all.’
- ‘The stuff you buy is the old pure beer, brewed and fermented by anal-retentives from ancient recipes.’
- ‘Now there's an anal-retentive if I ever saw one.’
- ‘The last couple of weeks have seen my routine disrupted, which is traumatic for us anal-retentives.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.