Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A type of thick embossed wallpaper, designed to be painted over.‘being a natural material, Anaglypta expands on pasting’count noun ‘unlike the other Anaglyptas, they have a flat paper backing’
wallpaper, wallcoveringView synonyms
- ‘After its debut, Anaglypta was immediately recognized as a superior product by the decorating and finishing trade.’
- ‘It would be hard to find a buyer who would lavish the same degree of attention on the Anaglypta.’
- ‘Apply two coats of the soft yellow basecoat to the Anaglypta with a roller and let it dry for 4 hours.’
- ‘Some of the prevailing wallpaper options include printed patterns, textiles, grass cloths and natural materials, leathers, textures, and embossed papers such as Anaglypta and Lincrusta.’
- ‘Lincrusta is made of a linseed oil mixture and Anaglypta is made from cotton pulp.’
Late 19th century: from Latin anaglypta ‘work in low relief’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.