One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The growing phase of a hair follicle.Often contrasted with telogen
- ‘Alteration of matrix cell activity during anagen, by whatever method chosen, increases the amount of time from removal to regrowth.’
- ‘On the scalp of patients who are predisposed to the condition, androgens lead to miniaturisation, a switch from terminal to vellus or vellus-like follicles, and a reduction in the duration of anagen.’
- ‘Telogen effluvium is diffuse hair loss caused by any condition or situation that shifts the normal distribution of follicles in anagen to a telogen-predominant distribution.’
- ‘A 0.1% melatonin or a placebo solution was applied on the scalp once daily for 6 months and trichograms were performed to assess anagen and telogen hair rate.’
- ‘Elsewhere, cysts containing central keratinous material were associated with a peripheral basaloid epithelial proliferation showing the formation of buds mimicking abortive anagen hair follicles.’
1920s: from ana- + -gen.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.