One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Insensitivity to pain, especially as artificially induced by the administration of gases or the injection of drugs before surgical operations.‘during anaesthesia body temperature falls due to the effect of drugs’‘modern clinical anaesthesia uses low concentrations of volatile anaesthetics’
- ‘Patients have many fears regarding surgery, including fear of death, anesthesia, and pain.’
- ‘Topical anesthesia is administered by instilling anesthetic drops into the eye.’
- ‘The scrub persons drape the patient, and the surgeon infiltrates the surgical site with local anesthesia.’
- ‘If an adult needed to be circumcised, he would be given anesthesia and postoperative pain relief.’
- ‘Epidural anaesthesia is particularly suitable for certain operations.’
- ‘This can be overcome, however, with skillful administration of anesthesia.’
- ‘All surgical interventions and anesthesia were conducted in conformity with institutioned guidelines.’
- ‘Epidural anesthesia has become increasingly popular for pain control during labor.’
- ‘Patients admitted to being more afraid of anesthesia than the actual surgical procedure.’
- ‘The anesthesia care provider administers anesthesia while the patient remains on the stretcher.’
- ‘Body piercing is traditionally done without any anesthesia to dull the pain.’
- ‘We speculated that the effects of surgical injury and anaesthesia might be as important as the use of cardiopulmonary bypass in causing impairment.’
- ‘For many years pessaries have been used to treat prolapse, although their use has decreased with advances in anaesthesia and surgical techniques.’
- ‘Permanent pain relief with anesthesia can be achieved with injections of phenol into the pain trigger point.’
- ‘It is also possible to induce anaesthesia with anaesthetic gases, breathed through a mask.’
- ‘Epidural anaesthesia is a safe and reliable method of pain relief.’
- ‘It is usually performed as a day case surgical procedure under general anaesthesia.’
- ‘Maybe the numbness is the body providing temporary anesthesia for the pain.’
- ‘This is a major operation requiring single lung anaesthesia, and many patients with cardiac or underlying lung disease will not tolerate it.’
- ‘Coexisting conditions may compromise anesthesia and increase surgical risk.’
Early 18th century: modern Latin, from Greek anaisthēsia, from an- ‘without’ + aisthēsis ‘sensation’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.