Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A condition in which there is a deficiency of red cells or of haemoglobin in the blood, resulting in pallor and weariness.
- ‘The hormone causes the body to make more red blood cells and is now a million-dollar drug to treat anaemia caused by cancer therapy, dialysis, and renal disease.’
- ‘In children, the major causes of anemia are dietary iron deficiency and infection.’
- ‘Some medical conditions such as thyroid disease and anemia also can cause palpitations.’
- ‘Treatment for this serious anemia may include blood transfusions to boost levels of red blood cells.’
- ‘Red blood cells are also used to treat anaemia, a condition in which haemoglobin levels are lower than normal.’
- ‘Our findings may be most relevant to rural South and, possibly, South East Asia, where prevalence of iron deficiency anaemia and low birth weight are high.’
- ‘He needed 15 blood transfusions to fight anaemia and a rare infection.’
- ‘The most prevalent and preventable form of microcytic anemia is iron deficiency anemia.’
- ‘For instance, if your fatigue is the result of anemia, blood transfusions may help.’
- ‘The most common form of microcytic anemia is iron deficiency caused by reduced dietary intake.’
- ‘In many cases, doctors don't discover anemia until they run blood tests as part of a routine physical examination.’
- ‘Iron-deficiency anaemia and megaloblastic anaemia can occur during pregnancy.’
- ‘It is a systemic disease that not only affects joints but also causes inflammation of the blood vessels, anaemia, nodules, fever, weight loss and fatigue.’
- ‘This may include blood tests for anaemia, kidney function test, or scans of the heart and other organs.’
- ‘The blood test for anemia will be performed at least once more during your pregnancy.’
- ‘The diagnosis of iron deficiency anemia was given if anemia and iron deficiency were present.’
- ‘However, we cannot rule out the possibility that some infants may suffer from iron deficiency anemia if meat is introduced too late.’
- ‘It is important to remember that though they are related, iron deficiency and anaemia are distinct conditions.’
- ‘Blood transfusion may be appropriate for symptomatic anaemia.’
- ‘Some medical conditions, such as anemia or hypothyroidism, can cause a pregnant woman to lack energy.’
Early 19th century: via modern Latin from Greek anaimia, from an- without + haima blood.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.