One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A condition in which there is a deficiency of red cells or of haemoglobin in the blood, resulting in pallor and weariness.
- ‘The hormone causes the body to make more red blood cells and is now a million-dollar drug to treat anaemia caused by cancer therapy, dialysis, and renal disease.’
- ‘Treatment for this serious anemia may include blood transfusions to boost levels of red blood cells.’
- ‘In many cases, doctors don't discover anemia until they run blood tests as part of a routine physical examination.’
- ‘This may include blood tests for anaemia, kidney function test, or scans of the heart and other organs.’
- ‘The most common form of microcytic anemia is iron deficiency caused by reduced dietary intake.’
- ‘He needed 15 blood transfusions to fight anaemia and a rare infection.’
- ‘The blood test for anemia will be performed at least once more during your pregnancy.’
- ‘Our findings may be most relevant to rural South and, possibly, South East Asia, where prevalence of iron deficiency anaemia and low birth weight are high.’
- ‘The diagnosis of iron deficiency anemia was given if anemia and iron deficiency were present.’
- ‘It is important to remember that though they are related, iron deficiency and anaemia are distinct conditions.’
- ‘Red blood cells are also used to treat anaemia, a condition in which haemoglobin levels are lower than normal.’
- ‘The most prevalent and preventable form of microcytic anemia is iron deficiency anemia.’
- ‘It is a systemic disease that not only affects joints but also causes inflammation of the blood vessels, anaemia, nodules, fever, weight loss and fatigue.’
- ‘Some medical conditions, such as anemia or hypothyroidism, can cause a pregnant woman to lack energy.’
- ‘For instance, if your fatigue is the result of anemia, blood transfusions may help.’
- ‘However, we cannot rule out the possibility that some infants may suffer from iron deficiency anemia if meat is introduced too late.’
- ‘In children, the major causes of anemia are dietary iron deficiency and infection.’
- ‘Blood transfusion may be appropriate for symptomatic anaemia.’
- ‘Iron-deficiency anaemia and megaloblastic anaemia can occur during pregnancy.’
- ‘Some medical conditions such as thyroid disease and anemia also can cause palpitations.’
Early 19th century: via modern Latin from Greek anaimia, from an- ‘without’ + haima ‘blood’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.