Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a fish such as the salmon) migrating up rivers from the sea to spawn.The opposite of catadromous
- ‘Pacific salmon are anadromous (sea-run) fish that migrate from freshwater to the ocean and then back to freshwater to spawn.’
- ‘Chinook Salmon are anadromous, making great migrations out to the deepest parts of the ocean and returning as mature adults to their natal streams.’
- ‘Although most representatives of the species are of the inland form, some populations of bull trout are anadromous and can co-exist with dolly varden char along the coast.’
- ‘Unlike lampreys, salmon, and other anadromous fish, which migrate from the ocean to fresh water to breed, eels head in the opposite direction.’
- ‘For example, the anadromous osmerids typically spawn in shallow water.’
Mid 18th century: from Greek anadromos (from ana- ‘up’ + dromos ‘running’) + -ous.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.