Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or characterized by a strong emotional dependence on another or others.‘anaclitic depression’
- ‘In contrast, anaclitic patients are overly focused on relationship issues such as intimacy, trust, and sexuality.’
- ‘This comes in addition to other expressions that existed beforehand, such as anaclitic depression, thoughts and fears about death.’
- ‘The anaclitic reaction was carried on in later adult life and was characterized by an inability to show love or emotions in their social relationships.’
- ‘Men tended to utilize the anaclitic choice, Freud thought, and women tend toward the narcissistic.’
- ‘Out of this process, the breakdown of the anaclitic identification with the mother, the ego emerges.’
1920s: from Greek anaklitos for reclining, from anaklinein recline.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.